Urdu Hai Jiska Naam: Get a free DVD set on the story of the Urdu Language

Topics: Blogging/Tech, Media, Socio-Political

Update/Addendum [10 November 2009]: This thing no more works and the post has been suitably edited. I have been informed by the Office of the concerned OSD, MEA that it is for the circulation in embassies and missions abroad among other things including the promotion of our secular credentials. The news had spread by word of mouth and many applicants, including me,  actually got the DVDs [while many requests are pending]. Col. Mohla informed that he will give some DVDs to the JNU library so that scholars/students benefit from it. If you live in Delhi/JNU, you can also get a copy of the DVD from me.

___________________________________________________________________

Urdu Hai Jiska Naam DVD

‘Urdu Hai Jiska Naam [The Story of Urdu]’ is a beautiful documentary DVD [both in Urdu and English] on the story and evolution of the Urdu language. The Public Diplomacy Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. Of India [the producer] is distributing it free of cost. All you have to do is submit an email to the Officer on Special Duty Lt. Col. A.K. Mohla. Read on to know more.

The following is a description of the documentary on the Urdu Literature forum on Ning which anybody can join. Sohail Hashmi, who has conceived and written it, is also a member of this forum.

Urdu Hai Jiska Naam is a beautiful documentary which uncovers the history of Urdu language and literature. The film is the brainchild of Sohail Hashmi and it took intense research to transform this idea into a script. Sohail Hasmi himself is a great lover of Urdu as also the composite culture of India.

The documentary is anchored by Tom Alter and is divided in four parts according to different segments of the film. The film is directed by a young and emerging director Subhash Kapoor and presented by Kamna Prasad and Meka Films. The documentary is produced by Publicity Division of Ministry of External Affairs.

Shubha Mudgal and Dr. Aneesh Pradhan are behind the musical composition of all Nazms and Ghazals. The documentary provides the viewer an outline of the history of the Urdu language. It explains and highlights the key role played by Urdu language in the Indian freedom struggle and how it became a medium of modern education in India. This documentary clearly expresses that Urdu is not merely a language; it is a complete ideology in itself. The film also expresses that the story of Urdu is the story of plurality. It is a technically sound documentary film with an aesthetic presentation. This film is the first noticeable endeavour to popularize and uncover the real historical story of Urdu language in an effective manner.

This is from the blurb:

Detailed and chronological the four-part film starts with the evolution of language in the subcontinent since ancient times and traces the historical movement of people and circumstances that led to the genesis of Urdu. Dwelling lovingly on the journey of the language during the medieval times, the film showcases Urdu becoming a potent language of protest during colonial times and its role in the journey of a newly independent India.

Thanks to Raghib Akhtar of the Urdu Literature community on Ning for the hat tip. I got my beautiful DVD set within 5 days of sending my mail to the officer. The DVD set comprises of two DVDs [Urdu and English] and is a real collector’s delight!

Here is what you need to do.

See the addendum on the top of the post. It will not work now.

You can see the full image of the DVD set at the said Urdu Literature forum.

1. sunil balani says:

Thanks …will definitely give it a try…

2. lucifer says:

I dont know Hw i came on your blog but i am always in search of good articles nd Freebies like a monster 🙂 and Ya its good that i Came on your blog if this works out i will post on my blog as i am Freebies Blogger 🙂

Thank you both for the comment. Please leave a comment when you receive or do not receive it.

Lucifer, feel free to write about it. Thanks. 🙂

4. गंगा सहाय मीणा says:

मैंने पिछले सेमेस्‍टर में ये डॉक्‍यूमैंट्री देखी थी. सच में बहुत अच्‍छी बनाई है. कब से सोच रहा था कि हमारे नए विद्यार्थी (प्रथम वर्ष) वाले भी यह डॉक्‍यूमैंट्री देखें. शायद अब देख पायेंगे. आपके ब्‍लॉग में प्रकाशित यह सूचना सभी के लिए महत्‍वपूर्ण है. शुक्रिया.

5. Swati says:

Hey,
    After reading your blog i had immediately mailed the Public Diplomacy division for the DVDs on 25th October and today on 30th October i have received the DVD set. Thanks 🙂

6. sunil balani says:

I got my set of DVDs yesterday…have not watched them yet to make any comment about content but you truly deserve a word of thanks for information.

7. lucifer says:

I Have Still Not Received it…still waiting for it…hope to get it soon…btw i am indian…hope to see good freebies mail from ur side too 🙂

Good Now You Have Your Own Domain Name…

8. lucifer says:

i did not deleted it…it went to spam and got deleted…since i use intense debate for commenting nd askimet which takes care of spam (since u posted comment on “about me” where all comments go into spam and get deleted)…

9. Shamshuddin says:

HI
    I have sent an email to the public diplomacy division. waiting for the DVD

10. i watched it. its an great urdu story.

11. Lucifer and others, you may not get free DVDs now. Lt. Col. Mohla wrote to me on this and we had a talk about it and he explained things. I added an addendum here on the top of this post:

This thing no more works and the post has been suitably edited. I have been informed by the Office of the concerned OSD, MEA that it is for the circulations in embassies and missions abroad among other things. The news had spread by word of mouth and many applicants, including me, actually got the DVDs [while many requests are pending]. Col. Mohla informed that he will give some DVDs to the JNU library so that scholars/students benefit from it. If you live in Delhi/JNU, you can also get a copy of the DVD from me.

12. erythrocyte says:

Is it possible to get it via file sharing?

13. erythrocyte,

You can search the various torrent sites for it. I don’t think anyone has uploaded it yet. My internet connection is not a robust one or else I myself would have uploaded it on any file sharing or on internet archive.

14. kishor Lal says:

Information is very tempting to book for one DVD. But where is the email address?

Will someone be kind to put the complete emai address and postal address here so that I can request one DVD for my use?

Thanks

• Vikas Gupta says:

Kishor Lal,

It no more works now. Please read the paragraph in bold in the beginning. Thanks.

• kishor Lal says:

Thank you for drawing my attention to fact.

I feel , the ministry should have the free dwonlaodable website and no need to create any DVD. Just one DVD will reach millions.

Why such a simple fact is not coming to minds of Bureaucrats…
        OR it comes but not worthy of implementing? As there is no money involved

Kishor Lal

15. Looking to get one as well. Let c how it goes 🙂

16. Hello Vikas,

I have read a lot about your documentary Urdu hai Jiska Naam, I am independent filmmaker, based in U.K, I can’t find that in U.K, it will be great honor if you could post that to me? i am very interesting to see how it’s done?

If any fee to pay please let me know?

Regards,