NOTE: This is just a fun post. I really liked the film; so don’t criticise me for pointing these out. For mistakes in Hollywood films see Movie Mistakes. Post last revised at 7.25 PM, 17 Jan 2010.
These are some of the errors in the popular Bollywood film ‘3 Idiots’ that is breaking records presently. These are factual flaws and I have refrained from making opinion-based comments or finding story-based faults.I liked the film just the same and have watched it more than once. Some errors have been discovered by others and I have given credit wherever applicable.
1. The Balatkaar speech is not true to the script by Dubeyji
When the librarian Mr. Dubey narrates the speech to Chatur, he begins with this line: “Hamare director sahab ne yahaan kai chamatkar kiye hain!” In the actual speech this line is missing! And Rancho did not change the speech; he only changed some words and added a Sanskrit shlok!
2. “TEACHER’S DAY” is incorrect English
Father’s day or Mother’s day is fine but not ‘Teacher’s day’! It should be ‘TEACHERS’ DAY’ in the banner on 5 September (Chatur Silencer’s Balatkaar speech)! See a screenshot below:
3. The urn’s lid was dropped in the toilet pan by Farhan. And yet it is there in the next two scenes!
The lid of the urn containing the ashes was dropped in the pan by Madhavan. And still in the next two scenes we see that the lid is there! See a screenshot from the film below just as the duo leave after extracting information from the real Ranchhordas. It would be a sacrilege to use that lid from the toilet! This error discovered by Chandan.
4. Mona Singh’s character is called by two different names!
Mumbai Mirror reported this error.
Mona, who plays Kareena Kapoor’s elder sister in the movie, is first referred to as Poonam by her screen dad Boman Irani.
However, Poonam becomes Mona in the dramatic sequence that follows where Aamir Khan, Sharman Joshi and R. Madhavan deliver a baby with Kareena’s help through a web camera.
5. Farhan often pronounces the name as ‘Shyamaldas’ and not ‘Shamaldas’ !
Rancho’s name has Shamaldas and not Shayamaldas. But Farhan (Madhavan) pronounces it incorrectly almost throughout the film (though it is not very noticeable). Here is the name batch that Rancho (Aamir) is wearing as he is caught for ragging by seniors. The Gujarat address here is fine as Rancho wanted to hide his real address (says JNU student Nikhil Rajput).
6. The emptied bottle is no more empty in the next scene!
Sid discovered this error. See the two images below. The senior almost emptied the bottle in Aamir’s pants (water remaining may be 1/10th of the bottle) and in the next scene the bottle is half-filled!
See the two images below and it will be crystal clear to you! This point updated later.
And now see the bottle is half-filled (bottom left in the image below) in the immediately following scene!
7. The taxi’s registration number plate in convocation scene and ICE’s identity card
The taxi in which Aamir Khan (Rancho) leaves after convocation is not in keeping with the Delhi Traffic Police number plate guidelines and is liable for penalty! Just look at it below, it is just DL 2 in the first line!
The ICE identity card could be another instance of lack of attention to small details. See it below. Do top Engineering institutes have that kind of simple Id card with with just three columns?!
8. We do not find a girl in the orientation lecture scene by the ICE director! Update: this point not valid.
Recall the ‘Koel bird’ lecture by the director (see screenshot below). We only had an assembly of males in that scene unlike the rest of the college scenes where you can find females once in a while! This point added later. Sid (and others) have later remarked it is the boys’ hostel so this should not be considered a mistake. IMO, this point has logic but ignoring women in this important scene is quite ‘in your face!’ It is as if the whole lecture thing was only for males!
Some other titbits related to ‘3 Idiots’
1. is India really no. in Suicides? See the WHO data on Wikipedia.
2. The Chanchad Bhavan in Shimla is the popular Chahar palace, says Manpreet.
3. The trio could have just inserted their answer sheets in the heap. There was no need to shuffle it. See this video on YouTube, suggests Ameya.
4. Muslim man shooting women in Burqa in Shimla is a clichéd image and has travelled far and wide as viral mails, says Abhijit. See this pic, for example.
5. Follow this forum discussion on the flaws in the film.
6. The Balatkaar Speech fan page on Facebook has about 0.2 million fans!
7. Read more about the Indian American actor Omi Vaidya aka Silencer/Chatur on Wikipedia
8. Read more goofs on IMDB. The first goof (plot) there is not a goof btw.
9. Jaya Jha, IIT-IIM alumnus comments on the film in the light of her IIT experiences. Click here to read her review of 3 Idiots.
10. Want the full text of Balatkaar speech by Chatur in the film. Here it is copied from the internet:
Adarniya sabhapati mahodaya, atithi vishesh shikshan mantri shri R D tripati ji, maanyaniya shikshagan aur mere piyaaare sahpatiyo Aaj agar I.C.E aasmaan ki bulaaandiyo ko chhu raahaa hai to uska shreya sirrf ekinsaan ko jaataahai – Shri Veeru S…ahastrabuddhe Give him a big hand. He is a great guy really. Peechle buttis saal se inhone nirantar is college mein balatkar pe balatkar kiye. Umeed hai aagey bee karte rahege. Hamein to aashcharya hota hai ki ek insaan apne jeevan kaal mein itni balatkar kaisi kar sakta hai. Inhone kadi tapaasya se apne aapko is kaabil bunaya hai. Waqt ka sahi upyog ghante ka purna istemaal koi inse seeke. Seeke inse seeke. Aaj hum sab chaatra yaha hai, kal desh videsh mein fail jayenge. Waadaa hai aapse jis desh mein honge waha balatkar karenge, I.C.E ka naam roshan karenge. Dika denge sabko jo balatkar Karne ki kshamtaa yaha ke chaatro mein hai wo sansaar ke kisi chaatro mein nahiii. No other chaatra. No other chaatra. Adarniya mantraji! Namashkar aapne is sansthaan ko wo chees di jiski hamein sakht zaroorat thi. “Sstunn”! Stunn hota sabi ke paas hai. Sab chupa ke rakte hai, detaa koi nai. Aapne apna stun is balatkari purush ke haat mein diya hai, ab dekiye yeh kaisa iska upyog karta hai Utthamum dadhdadaath paadam – Madhyam paadam thuchuk chuk – Ghanisthah thud thudi paadam – Surr surri praan gatakam
7. Want full text of Chatur’s definition of a machine:
Machines are any combination of body so connected that their relative motions are constrained and by which means force and motion may be transmitted and modified as a screw or nut or lever arranged to turn around its fulcrum or pulley by its pivotic center especially the construction more or less complex consisting of a combination of moving parts or civil mechanical elements as wheels, levers, cams etc.
8. What is Hippocratic Oath by doctors? Read full entry on Wikipedia:
The Hippocratic Oath is an old oath historically taken by doctors swearing to ethically practice medicine. It is widely believed to have been written by Hippocrates, the father of western medicine, in Ionic Greek (late 5th century BC), or by one of his students, and is usually included in the Hippocratic Corpus.