See the colours of India: My full photo website on the SurajKund Crafts Fair

www. surajkundmela.wordpress.com

It was my maiden visit to the famous SurajKund Crafts Mela on 14 February 2010 as part of the JNU UNESCO and Photography clubs’ trip to the fair. I shot more than 450 pics of the 24th edition of the fair and ended up making an online pictorial documentation of the fair a few days ago in full four hours.

Surajkund Mela

For the uninitiated, SurajKund Crafts Mela in the state of Haryana (very close to South Delhi) is the Indian Crafts fair held every year since the early 80s. You can see the colours of Indian crafts at display here: handicrafts, glassware, cermamic, pottery, metal works, painting, paper crafts, drawing, carpets, leather work and whatnot. It is also the display of the Indian culture and Indian people.

I have an irresistible desire to document socio-cultural events as a sort of record/archive for the people and society. Some of my previous documentations are JNU Holi (the festival of colours of India), Delhi Zoo (the unofficial Delhi Zoo website which is a very popular site), JNU Caves,

Here is some information on how the pictorial website is arranged.

• ENTRACE/TICKET COUNTER: Photos from the ticket counter area and entrance at the SurajKund Mela
  • CRAFTS’ PHOTOS, I,II, III : In three sections I have put up photos of the Indian crafts at the fair
  • FOOD COURT: Photos of the food stalls/restaurants in the designated food court area at the SurajKund Mela.
  • KIDS’ CORNER/AMUSEMENT: Photos from the amusement section at the fair
  • MIXED PHOTOS from the SurajKund Mela
  • HUMOROUS/FUNNY PHOTOS: from the SurajKund Mela (must watch).

This is an unofficial documentation needless to say.

Click to visit the SurajKund Mela photo website. :)

1. Suhasini says:

I guess Surajkund mela is already over, right? I saw your website, nice images.

2. Mathew Day says:

Informative post, your pictures catch the moment very well and the colors in all the pictures are eye catching. Thanks for sharing.

3. Raiden says:

To bad traditional Indian culture isn’t promoted enough.
    I didn’t see any tourists.

4. Yash says:

Have been following your site for sometime .. quite informative .. like the layout and design of your blog .. good going

5. Hey Vikas, I had a look at that website. Very nice photographs. I love buying such crafts :) I think I should visit Haryana next time when this festival is held. The umbrellas and bags are sooo beautiful :D

6. We Cognize says:

Hi Vikas, The Surajkund mela is so popular that two (including you) of my blogger friends have blogged about them ! I saw the other blog about surajkundmela and enjoyed the pics. I too desire to be there sometime in my life.. know people who go here every year ! :) (they too are in Delhi)

Infact all your blogs(I am yet to visit all of them) seem to be interesting .. I am specially interested in Delhi Zoo and Rishikesh river rafting :)

The idea of creating multidimensional album of sorts of a place like surajkund was creative I think :)

7. Archana says:

I too visited last year and certainly it had all the colours of India! I also took the vido of Kalbelia – the Rajasthani folk snake dance.

8. l'emotion says:

hey old boy!

say, are you in jnu? i gotta find out a way to crack the entrence test?

l’emotion,

Yes I am. The only known way to crack the entrance test is by appearing in the test.

All the best. :)

10. azim says:

i missed the opportunity to visit surajkund

11. nadia says:

You’ve documented the mela very well, Vikas. More than 450 pictures …wow! You’ve taken good pictures. Keep it up :)

12. blueapple says:

hello vikas,

what a lovely range of pictures.
    very colourful and well captured.
    i couldn’t visit the fair,you have beautifully pictured the displayed ones.
    awesome!
    cheers

13. Vikas! Thanks for visiting my blog :) Um, you should’ve just gone on the main Twitter box. Anyhow, I’ve fixed the small link now too :)

And just FYI, it’s @ArushiFabBlab.

Thanks! xo

14. john says:

hey, I came here in response to a comment you pasted in another blog on JSTOR, only to find myself wasting time on your blog which has so much of YOU in it that it makes me sick. just don’t type crap in cyber space okay ? It pisses people off. And yeah, serioudly dude, GET A LIFE

• Vikas Gupta says:

John,

That must be long ago! I do not recall leaving any comment on any blog post on JSTOR in recent memory. Feel free to leave me the link.

Feel free to wander away if my “crap” is of no interest to you.

• deepu says:

john,
      no one owns cyberspace and if you hv anything useful to say in ur blog please send the link and don’t act as though you do and see only useful things in cyberspace!

15. Cool pic puppets look so cute. :) Thanks for sharing. :)

16. garry says:

In india, there so many types of fairs all around where you can joy at maximum
    cheapticket.co.uk/india/delhi.aspx

17. Chirag says:

The traditional crafts and fairs are awesome. I have witnessed many such in childhood. You’ll like my video upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXPBGY4QYk It’s about puppet show.

18. Great blog, Vikas! I guess you shoud see the WordPress Pack to make it more attractive for your readers!

19. http://www.riverraftinginindia.net/ – Central Himalayan Adventure offers to the adventurous traveller to enjoy the thrill of white water river rafting in India. The most popular river rafting places are Garhwal Himalayas, Uttarakhand in India. And if you also wanna to enjoy camping in rishikesh or stay in a riverside camps situated on sandy ganga beach. The camps at Rishikesh are very much environmentally friendly. People say rishikesh rafting is most enjoyable river rafting in india.

Central Himalayan Adventure are a Rafting Tour Operator conducting Rafting and Camping in Rishikesh.

20. http://www.raftinginrishikesh4u.com- Rishikesh has become a main hub of river rafting in Rishikesh, North India. It’s an adventure sport best enjoyed at a white sand beach next to the river. Rafting in Rishikesh, River Rafting in Rishikesh, white water rafting in rishikesh, riverside camping, camping in rishikesh and rishikesh rafting camps.

21. Ramesh says:

Great blog

22. shivam says:

VERY GOOD CREATIVITY.
    I LIKE IT VERY MUCH

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!